Pages

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

CLIMATE CHANGED: A Brief Introduction

The Ironworks at Coalbrookdale
This is the first in a series of posts that I have been avoiding. It was thought about, discussed in RL for a long time, yet I held on to the irrational belief that somehow, miraculously, scientists of various scientific fields would turn out to be wrong.

I have hinted at it in past posts, my readers already know, but until it began happening in people's own backyard the facts were dismissed or denied. Across the interwebs, I still come across comments such as "What is going on?" in response to certain natural disasters, such as unusual storms and floods, which made me wonder if some people simply prefer to live in denial. This post is not about fearmongering or even directed at my "fellowers", but a reaction to the ignorification of the public by the media and other mostly self-interested sources.

A fellow blogger and friend Sprite, who has been through the January floods in Australia, encouraged me to write about it.

Disclaimer: The following "news" may cause some readers to assume the fetal position.

Contrary to the Apocalyptics, the end is not near, but the climate has changed. Past tense. Irreversible for now, we might be able to slow down the rate of change, but at present time we do not have the technology or even the intent to stop it.

On a global scale, we still do not know or understand how our climate and weather patterns are "created" or all of the variables that affect our climate. The computing power to do that on a global scale, i.e. the ability to take all the factors into consideration, does not exist yet.  This makes accurate weather prediction nearly impossible. It is possible that the last couple of years were indeed a more extreme display, brought on by an active El Nino/La Nina cycle, of what is yet to come.

There are numerous causes, but no immediate solutions. Yet. Even if we were to stop all CO2 emissions at this moment, we do not have the technology to capture or remove the CO2 that we have been emitting into our atmosphere for at least 150 years or possibly since the Industrial Revolution began. CO2, which is not only a greenhouse gas, but acidifying our oceans.

However, if our focus were to shift there are possibilities. If we and by we I mean our entire human species re-prioritized what is important we could at least begin to ameliorate the problem.

Hang on to your roofs, basements, ice cubes and umbrellas, it's going to be a bumpy ride.

To be continued...

The Ironworks at Coalbrookdale 1801
By Philip de Loutherbourg (1740-1812)
Collection Science Museum, London

23 comments:

  1. I've always thought it was a bit ridiculous to NOT expect our weather to change. If there is anything that is constant, it is change. Have we humans helped the change come faster? More than likely, but it still would have changed at some point. Humans have been learning to adapt and overcome for thousands of years. Hopefully we will continue to do so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ant.
    Thank you for looking to/engaging us with these realities. Here's to higher potentials, amelioration, pro-activity, participation, healing.
    Linked up and listening. . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely true! Good post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Meg, of course climate changes, but it does so over time periods that are inconceivably long. The only way the human species can adapt quickly is through a change in life style and technology.

    The majority of the world's population has neither the finances nor the infrastructure to adapt if their towns are flooded or destroyed. And that's just our species, we're losing too many species daily.

    @Claire, exactly.
    Time to raise signs and candles;). I read an interesting article on how artists and scientists need to cooperate and "link up" more, I'll see if I can find it.

    @Barb, I wish it wasn't but thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good post. I am sure it will be a fine series of posts.

    It certainly has made owning Oceanside property pretty fraught and hopeless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What does this have to do with kittens running on treadmills? Seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There's kittens on treadmills?

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Laoch, thank you. Unfortunately, a harsh reality series.

    I still have not taken that off my list. Too optimistic?

    @KevD, balance the dark side kittens do. Hmm? Hmm. We must unlearn what we have learned. Hmm. Save us it can.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Nubian, yes, please view previous post.

    This is not a humor blog. Not a humor blog. no t a h.um.o.r blog *rocks*

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are absolutely right. After the recent Slave Lake disaster and the ash falling in my yard from over three hours away, I finally felt the gravity of this new reality. Looking forward to what you have to say about it next.

    ReplyDelete
  11. See Ant, people aren't leaving en-mass. They like your post. As do I.

    See into the future, you can....

    Squeek!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think I came across wrong(ah, the internet)...I completely agree with you. This might sound harsh, but there are more people now than ever(obviously) and not all of will make it through the changes...in my opinion. Am I just making it worse? That's the way my day has gone, lol. I'd like to see people make changes for the better. I just don't know how realistic it will be for our generation to see obvious changes, but hopefully the following generations will.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is why I like coming here. Cinephile and kittens on treadmills balanced by thought-provoking discussions unencumbered by frantic, knees-bent hysteria.
    Looking forward to reading more.
    Plus, like I said, I love the galaxy picture (I'm simple that way).

    ReplyDelete
  14. I totally agree with your blog... just wanted to see how quickly I could turn on the rage... hee hee I think we are adding too quickly to the current conditions.

    "When all the trees have been cut down, when all the animals have been hunted, when all the waters are polluted, when all the air is unsafe to breathe, only then will you discover you cannot eat money." ~ Cree Prophecy

    ReplyDelete
  15. @dbs,"looking forward"? Had a hell of a time writing them until I stopped trying to sugarcoat it.
    Saw it in the news, devastating.

    @Sprite, :)
    They might want to start running while they still can. Mwuuahahaaha. KIDDING. Or not? Am I? It's not going to be noice.

    @Meg, I know what you mean, tone of voice is lost in comments. It's the reality though, the poorest nations will suffer the most and sadly people will be lost. If we do something we'll see the changes.

    @Al, I prefer movies and kittens to reality.
    Felt it had to be voiced, because the media just hits you with disaster news then leaves for a commercial.
    I have fallen behind on your epic novel, will get there this weekend.
    BTW, no one buys that whole self-deprecating "simple" thing. I'm just sayin'

    @Nubian, I see you share the frustration?;)
    Thanks for the quote, exactly right. That is the main reason for our current predicament.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Cats on a treadmill, that's funny. Shrimp on a treadmill, THAT's Science!

    To me the root cause is not climate change, it's overpopulation which is the catalyst driving climate change. Fix that issue and the rest falls into place by default.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ant, Professor Kathleen Dean Moore at Oregon State, wrote the book "Moral Ground ~ Ethical action for a planet in peril." Brilliant. I went to one of her talks and I was blown away by how many young woman stood up and took the pledge not to have children. It was incredible. People don't talk about the elephant in the room... over population.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think so, depending upon where specifically, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have written about your blog on my blog. Gotta get you some followers. Hope it works.!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. @Robert, haha, that would make a great punchline.

    @Robert & Nubian, yes, overpopulation is a major culprit, the population explosion over the last century is unprecedented. Nothing is being done to educate or inform. It's complex because there are other causative factors and that's what I will be addressing in future posts.

    I'll be spreading it out in bite-size pieces.;)

    @Nubian, I'll have a look at the book. Thank you.

    @Laoch, I'll have to pick somewhere that's still there then?
    "Expect the worst, hope for the best."

    @Barb, you did not have to do that. Thank you that was very kind of you.

    Follower numbers is not the reason I blog. Meeting interesting people, discussing and sharing knowledge is. I do appreciate your thoughtfulness. I'll be by shortly.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Antares, your are so right--re-prioritizing is of utmost importance, and probably the single hardest thing to do. I'm looking forward to hearing more, and just how we should be re-prioritizing... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  22. To come here and read what is true without sensationalizing - or fear mongering - is hardly going to drive fellowers away. That there are not simple, ready answers is a large part of the reality. A quiet voice may not calm our fears but I would rather know the truth, have some idea what to expect, even though it is not possible to prepare for what is ahead. You are doing fine. Please keep going. :D

    ReplyDelete
  23. @Jayne, we might not have a choice. I've mentioned it above, but the most difficult thing about writing these was finding a balance between not wanting to sugarcoat or sound alarmist.
    You probably already know.;)

    @Marylinn, it's not the fellowers I'm concerned about, you have already mentioned similar topics on your own post. However, this is the public domain and there is still a segment out there that finds it too frightening to contemplate.

    I see them pop up on hard science sites, calling scientists alarmist or being fearful. Not everyone shares my thinking; "expect the worst, hope for the best." You're right, it's the unpredictability that makes it difficult to prepare.

    Thank you, I appreciate the support. The only way I could write them is to be blunt.

    ReplyDelete

I get paid in com(pli)ments.
Comment, Discuss or Foruminate.
Feel free to talk amongst yourselves.