Pages

Thursday, January 3, 2013

Science Fiction And Fantasy Movies of 2012

Good Science Fiction and Fantasy movies fall into two basic categories for me; thought provoking or mindlessly entertaining. The latter includes spectacular things going "boom", especially when aliens make humans go "boom". Fun stuff.

Here are some of my picks for 2012. As someone who despises spoilers, all of my recommendations are spoiler and allergen free.

Prometheus
Ridley Scott waited 30 years to return to the scifi genre. I suspect that most people expected another alien movie. Instead, Scott addressed the questions that have preoccupied him since Bladerunner. What makes us human? Who is the creator? How do we use our scientific innovations? Where is our place in the universe?


The Cabin in the Woods
Joss Whedon makes a horror movie. Need I say more, Whedonites? For those who do not watch horror movies this is not...it is...it is funny. Just watch it.

The Avengers
Joss Whedon creates a truly enjoyable romp. Yes. I am a Joss Whedon fan.

Snowhite and the Huntsman
A visually beautiful film with stunning cinematography. Possibly not the greatest acting or story line but the visuals almost make up for it.

Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter
The title alone made me cringe. It should not work, but does. Stylistically it reminded me of Ritchie's re-invention of Sherlock Holmes.

TV series:
Game of Thrones
Probably one of the best and most cleverly written shows in a long time. Current status: Symptoms of GOT withdrawal.

The Walking Dead
Pure exaggerated horror (of life). The basic premise: What if it does not get better?

Still on my list:
The Dark Knight Rises
Hugo
Looper (or Sprite starts chanting)

9 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this. I saw almost no movies this year so I am way behind in my viewing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Prometheus is the only one that can be pondered. The rest are just mindless fun. I recommend Cabin in the woods because it is truly outside the box.

      Delete
  2. I liked 'Prometheus.' In addition to enjoying the connection to 'Alien,' I really liked the way the film made me ponder how we all got started. 'Prometheus'....bringer of fire. Pretty neat.
    Dark Knight Rises? Check your brain at the door, get yourself a tub of popcorn, and enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. Did not want to spoil it, but it let to much discussion on this end.
      Sometimes one needs to check brain at the door. As long as I get it back on my way out.

      Delete
  3. I'm glad you watched the one I recommended.. and no I still haven't watched Cabin in the Woods yet..lol.
    Watch Looper.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah. Thanks again.You should. It's Whedon, Sprite, don't be scared.
    I will, list updated.:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hugo was good, you'll like it.
      Ok but I'm going to watch it during the day :/
      Looper...loo.. don't make me....

      Delete

I get paid in com(pli)ments.
Comment, Discuss or Foruminate.
Feel free to talk amongst yourselves.